Autism is a neurological disorder characterized by social, behavioral and communication impairments. It is America’s fastest-growing serious developmental disorder, with a new case diagnosed almost every 20 minutes. Autism affects 1 in every 88 children. This is why it is so important for parents and professionals to learn the critical milestones for social, emotional, and communication development. Even before warning signs appear, parents should chronicle the milestones and share them with their pediatrician.
Early Indicators of Autism …
If your child shows any of these signs, parents should ask their physician for an evaluation.
- No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter
- No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by nine months or thereafter
- No babbling by 12 months
- No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving by 12 months
- No words by 16 months
- Loss of speech
- No two-word meaningful phrases (without imitating or repeating) by 24 months
- Any loss of speech or babbling or social skills at any age
- Weak head and neck control at six months (relatively new red flag, click here for more information)
If a child shows any of the red flags or early indicators, then that child should be evaluated by a developmental specialist – developmental pediatrician, or pediatric neurologist, psychiatrist, or psychologist – who has expertise in diagnosing and treating autism spectrum disorders.
Upcoming Autism Related Events:
Dandelion’s Friday Night Movie Night, The Muppets
Where: 1663 Mission Street, 7th Floor, San Francisco
When: Friday, April 19, 2013 at 5:30pm
Click here for more information.
Walk Now for Autism Speaks
Saturday, May 18th
History Park at Kelly Park, San Jose
Click here for more information. Donation info coming soon
SF Giants Autism Awareness Night at AT&T Park
Monday, June 17th at 7:15pm vs. San Diego Padres
For tickets and more information, click here.
Upcoming CW Talk:
An Overview of Social Regulation by Elizabeth Sautter, MA, CCC-SLP & Liz Weldon, MA, CCC-SLP
Where: Ann Martin Center, Emeryville, CA
When: Friday, April 19, 2013 at 12:30pm
Click here for more information and to register.